Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Analyzing My Audience

So now, who am I writing to?
Svan Hamberg. "Finding Your Audience On Facebook". 7/1/14 via Qwaya. CC - NA-SA2.0.
What are their assumptions?
I don't think my audience has many assumptions. I'm sure there are a few but for the most part, I would say that they're all pretty on board with the fact that women should be considered equals. They may, however, share the classic assumption that tech should stay a predominantly male industry but that also may be the product of the environment they've grown up in.

What kind of language is appropriate for them?
Formal conversational language should be appropriate. Because I'm writing in an actual Project format I think it should be a little tighter than my casual writing, however I'm still a believer in the fact that a casual piece is easier to connect with and people will understand my argument better. With that said, and considering my naturally casual tone, I'll try to write a formal piece and it should come out in a tasteful middle ground.

What are their sociopolitical and economic backgrounds?
I don't think they have any specific economic or sociopolitical background. However I don't think that matters much with respect to this article because it isn't a partisan or economic issue. It is true that specific parties and economic groups may have their own presumptions about women being equals, but I don't believe my audience has anybody that would identify so strongly with any group.

What will they want to know?
They will want to know how to rhetorically deconstruct a public speech act about entrepreneurship. Fortunately, I'm now qualified to show them how it's done and that's exactly what I plan to do.

In general, how can they be persuaded?
Since they're already unfamiliar with how to do this, it should be enough just for me to tell them how it's done. However, I think providing examples from the text demonstrating how certain rhetorical strategies accomplish different goals will help illustrate it enough to make my point clear to them. This will definitely be geared more towards logic than to their emotions.





No comments:

Post a Comment