Tuesday, July 14, 2015

My Writing Process

What type of writer do you consider yourself to be?

  • I'm definitely a procrastinator, but I also think I'm a pretty heavy planner. Usually I take a lot of time thinking about what I'll say, writing and rewriting the paper in my head, but won't actually write anything concrete until the last couple days before a deadline.
Does your writing process include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?

  • Yeah. Procrastinator and heavy planner. Sometimes when I'm writing the paper, if I can't think of what I'd planned to say next I'll take a break and come back to it later once I remember what I decided what would come next so I suppose that makes me a Sequential Composer too.
Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your approach?

  • I'd say so. But I've only taken one writing/composition class in college so I really can't say that the process works extraordinarily well. However I do feel like one of its strengths is that it gives me a good chance to flesh out my thoughts and explore some interesting ideas since I take so long to think about the paper before writing it. I think once you actually start writing something, it's a lot harder to erase what you just wrote and go in another direction. But since most of that experimentation happens in my head, I have free reign to take it wherever I want and come up with some really cool stuff. A weakness would be that I usually don't start writing until the last day or two so if I end up with a paper I'm not happy with, there's really not a lot of time for me to change that.
Do you think it might be beneficial for you to try a different approach? Why or why not?

  • Definitely. I'm always down for trying new things. I think that's really always the goal because when you try new things it opens your eyes to different ways of getting things done. It's an opportunity to take what you like and add it to your repertoire, which is always a good way to improve your habits and processes. 
Feraliminal. "Turtle-Thinking." 11/7/2010 via openclipart. Public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment