Monday, July 27, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

It's time to check out my own assumptions. That's probably the most important part of reading any document or controversy: understanding the way that I tailor the information to fit my own world view.

Live Life Happy. "Never Assume...". 11-14-14 via Flickr. CC A-NC-SA 2.0.


What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do we share with the society or culture in which the text was written?  Why have they endured?
I'm living in the society in which the text was written so I'm pretty much surrounded by the same values. However I actively focus on a lot of social justice stuff so I think my values are more geared towards equity and I tend to oppose the values that place women on a different level than men. I think my values have endured because everybody, in one sense or another, just wants a fair shake. And my beliefs are that everyone deserves that fair shake.

What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do we not share?  Why not?
I think that the values we don't share are the values that would count people out before they even get a chance to prove themselves. For instance, assuming that a woman is less qualified just because not many women work in tech. This belief seems antiquated to me but I think that's exactly why not everybody shares the belief; as new generations grow up people are understanding more and more the idea of equality.

If the text is written in a culture distant or different from our own, what social values, beliefs, etc., connect to or reflect our own culture?  What social values, beliefs, etc., can we not see in our own culture?
The text is written in our own culture so this isn't entirely relevant.

If the text is written in our culture but in a different historical time, how have the social values, beliefs, etc., developed or changed over time?
The text is also written in this historical time so I'm not sure this is entirely relevant either.

All in all, I think reflection on my own assumptions has been helpful because it's allowed me to really consider my predispositions and how that affects the way I approach this discussion.


2 comments:

  1. This may be the most honest response I have seen. So many people have done this assignment with the goal of not presenting their own assumptions and remaining objective but I think that defeated the purpose of the work. This exercise was meant to make us aware of our own biases so that they don't translate unto project two. Now that you know where you bias lays you can avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post did a very good job of explicitly stating your bias. Whereas most posts go to talk on about the general bias of the culture and how it translates to their own bias (rather roughly) your post was clear and concise about your own assumptions - which given the title of the blog, was a very good post. Considering I had barely even scratched the surface of my own views, your post was incredibly eye opening about what I need to focus on in order to ensure that I am not producing a bias.

    ReplyDelete