Saturday, August 8, 2015

Audience and Genre

So who am I even writing this to...?
Tara Hunt. "Audience". 9-9-13 via Flickr. CC A-SA 2.0.
It seems pretty obvious that most of the people interested in the gender gap and gender bias as a whole would be women. However I've found that there are a large number of men that also take interest in the gender gap and want to learn more about it. I believe that both parties are interested in this information because they recognize that the gender gap is a problem and a form of oppression, and so they want to take action and find ways that they can do something to make the situation better for everyone involved. Once they have the answers to the questions I'm asking (and more), they'll be better equipped to understand the gender gap and analyze its roots, which means they'll be more effective in finding solutions.
I think the best place to public a text like this would be on a blog or other publication that targets working women. Although it would be good to target people who identify as feminists, that would be preaching to the choir and I'm not sure it would create the same additional momentum because those individuals are already working to oppose the gender gap. With that said, I think the best group to target would be working women because they are directly affected and many of them may not be aware of the root of the issue or the resources available to them. One blog I found where this information would be useful is Young, Polished, and Professional, and it clearly targets young people and has a good emphasis on gender equality. The Working Women blog has similar characteristics and would also be good place to put my article and have it viewed by working women.
Besides working women, I think the next best group to target would be the general male population. Women are about half of the population and to ignore non-women when discussing women's issues is a surefire way to make no progress. Any major public space would be a good place to reach the general male population and with that information, I think they would be able to recognize why the gender gap directly affects them and them hopefully move them to make changes. To reach the broader audience, I think The Job Blog would be a good place to reach out to a lot of people at one time, although it might be a little harder to make my article relevant since they don't seem to focus on social justice a lot (if at all). The Just Four Guys blog also might be a good place to reach an overwhelmingly male audience, although I think that I'd have to work hard to make my article extra pertinent to them in illustrating how the gender gap is putting them at a disadvantage as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment