Sunday, August 9, 2015

Outlining My Public Argument

It's time to organize my ideas!
*arabic*. "Thinking Man". 11-24-07 via Wikipedia. CC A-SA 4.0.
INTRO
I think for my Intro I'll try to connect this issue to my readers' world view, and then try to get them to consider the consequences (or opportunity cost) of leaving things the way they are. Maybe I'll conclude by narrowing the problem but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to do that too early because I feel like it would take emphasis away from the complete/big picture problem.

SUPPORTING PARAGRAPHS
Title IX. Women are equals. Statistics/degrees/studies/numbers. Common sense.
Women aren't as good. Men run most companies. Emotional/maternity.

In 1972 a federal law called Title IX was introduced to provide a comprehensive solution to gender based discrimination in the United States.

A number of professional institutions have even conducted studies on gender based differences in managerial competence and capability.

It just makes sense.

Some individuals argue that men run the vast majority of successful companies and the predominantly male system has proven to be effective in the past.

One common misconception is that women should work primarily in the domestic sphere and that is why they get paid less, but in actuality that reasoning explains about 10% of the pay gap.

CONCLUDING
It's up to us to do something about the gender gap. The longer we tolerate it, the longer we're disempowering and disenfranchising our women. Although that may not seem like a big deal because the men are still running the companies, it's taking opportunity away from half of our community and that is just wrong. By ensuring equal pay for men and women, we will create the perfect environment for merit based incentive pay and as a result everyone will start performing better in order to make the cut.





No comments:

Post a Comment