Saturday, August 1, 2015

Clarity, Part 2

This time I'm learning a little more about clarity.. the next four chapters I looked at were Parallel Ideas, Needed Words, Mixed Constructions, and Emphasis.
Gary Richardson. "Three Clear Bubbles". 11-2-04 via Flickr. CC A-SA 2.0.
Parallel Ideas
It's really helpful going back and looking at the parallel ideas in my writing and making sure they're balanced because it just makes the entire piece sound better. It's sort of discrete but once you pay attention to it, it's pretty obvious that balanced parallel ideas flow so much better they make the entire thought feel more cohesive.

Needed Words
Adding needed words is a little new to me, only because I've been cutting unneeded words for as long as I can remember. I suppose that in the process of cutting out all the words that didn't seem necessary, I started to cut words that actually contributed to the meaning and clarity of the sentence without even realizing it. Part of that might be because I wrote the sentence, and so I wasn't going to mistake the meaning of what I wrote.

Mixed Constructions
I think I'm super susceptible to this because of my writing style. I tend to procrastinate and then work really efficiently under pressure and get it all done, but because of that I think I might jump around with my thoughts and end up with mixed sentence constructions. The idea of going back and reading for these is really helpful because it's allowed me to reflect on the way I get the ideas from my head to the page and how I might make that transfer better in the future.

Emphasis
Placing emphasis is obviously a natural thing to do with language, but I've never approached it from a technical perspective before. The idea that I can choose what gets emphasized just by moving ideas around in the sentence structure is really cool to me because it presents the opportunity to create some undertones and other themes in my writing. I'm looking forward to toying with this in the future.









No comments:

Post a Comment